Friday, January 01, 2016

Year in Review: 2015

Even though this hasn't been running a full year yet, it seems a good idea to give a quick rundown of what's happened so far to set the precedent for the next four years (Jesus, this is my life now).

So far I've watched 24 of the 400 movies, but, because some of the movies are on multiple sets, I've actually knocked 32 movies off the list (because my list includes the movies from the Sci-Fi and Horror packs that I watched before, the number is actually 132 out of 501). Most have been pretty blah with a few being downright horrifying (Cavegirl and Best Friends setting the bar), but there were some good ones there as well. The Creeping Terror has become my new signpost for hallucinogenically dull filmmaking and I have more than a little love for it just for that reason. Day of the Panther was a real unexpected surprise and has landed on my list of go-to bad movie recommendations along with Abraxas: Guardian of the Universe and Miami Connection. I also have to give a nod to The Bat, a nicely done Vincent Price piece that I'd seen before and forgotten. It holds up despite its age and offers both sincere and campy delights. In the same vein, Counterblast was also a surprise for taking narrative turns I'd never seen before. All in all, a good start to the project.

Here, as of 31 December, 2015, are the movies currently available through the Internet Archive. Links lead to the Misery Mill posts which have links to streaming copies:
The Bat
The Big Fight
Carnival of Crime
Counterblast
Deep Red
Don't Look in the Basement
The Driller Killer

No comments: