Tuesday, January 01, 2019

Year in Review 2018

Misery Mill Year in Review: 2018

Interesting times, neh? Last year I said I'd be in Korea by August of this year and that has not happened. Not for any dramatic reasons, just purely issues of timing and making the decision to spend a little time with family before going. I did leave higher ed after the Spring 2018 semester and am still planning to teach in Korea. That situation will play out in its own way.

During my final months in Philly, I had the opportunity to host Trash Tuesdays at The Bottle Shop which were a real pleasure, but also a disappointment, which is how things go. Usually it was just my friend and me watching a movie in the back, maybe one or two other mutual friends with us. Some of the movies did catch people's attention and those folks seemed interested in the idea of a regular bad movie night, but they never came back. I did leave Philly at the start of the summer--I thought I would be leaving at the end--so maybe things would have gone differently over the course of those warmer months. I'm grateful to The Bottle Shop for giving me a space to play and to indulge the fantasy of leading a bad movie night, I just wish I'd figured out how to grow it into something bigger.

I have thoughts about coming to the end of the Misery Mill, but those can wait for the complete wrap-up post which will go up two weeks after the final film gets posted. When this post goes live on the site, I will have finished watching all of the movies in the Misery Mill and will be glad to be done with them.

As of this posting, I've watched 341 of the 401 movies, but, because some of the movies are featured on multiple sets, I've actually knocked 398 movies off the list (also, because my list includes the movies from the Sci-Fi and Horror packs that I watched before, the number is actually 498 out of 501). I said when I started this project that it would take me until August 2019 to finish. Last year, I said the final date would be January 18, 2019. The current end point is January 11, 2019.

Fun movies of note from this year:
The Brother From Another Planet
The Headhunter
Messiah of Evil
Voodoo Black Exorcist
Death By Dialogue
Metamorphosis
The Devil's Possessed
Virus
Trapped By Television
The Snake, The Tiger, The Crane
Idaho Transfer
Star Pilot
Unsane

Here, as of December 31, 2018, are the movies currently available through the Internet Archive. Links lead to the Misery Mill posts which have links to streaming copies:
All the Kind Strangers
The Amazing Transparent Man
Anatomy of a Psycho
Atomic Rulers of the World

The Bat
Battle Beyond the Sun
Beast From Haunted Cave
The Big Fight
Black Cobra
Black Fist
The Blancheville Monster
Blood Mania
Bloodlust!
The Bloody Brood
Bloody Pit of Horror
The Brave Lion
A Bucket of Blood

Carnival of Crime
City Ninja
Counterblast
Curse of Bigfoot

The Day the Sky Exploded
Death Machines
Death Rage
Deep Red
The Demon
Devil Times Five
The Devil’s Hand
The Disappearance of Flight 412
Don't Look in the Basement
Doomsday Machine
The Driller Killer
The Dungeon of Harrow

Embryo
End of the World
Eternal Evil
Evil Brain From Outer Space

Fighting Mad
Four Robbers

The Ghost
The Giant of Metropolis
Good Against Evil
Grave of the Vampire
Green Eyes
Guru, the Mad Monk
The Guy From Harlem

Hands of a Stranger
Hands of Death
Haunts
The Headhunter
Horror Express
Horrors of Spider Island

I Bury the Living
I Eat Your Skin
The Image of Bruce Lee
The Impossible Kid
Infernal Street
Invaders From Space
Invasion of the Bee Girls
Iron Angel
It's Alive

Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter

Keep My Grave Open
Kung Fu Arts

Lady Frankenstein
The Lazarus Syndrome
Legacy of Blood
The Legend of Bigfoot
Life Returns

Mama Dracula
Man in the Attic
Manos: The Hands of Fate
The Manster
Mesa of Lost Women
Messiah of Evil
The Mistress of Atlantis
Monstroid
Moon of the Wolf

Nabonga
Night Fright
Night of Bloody Horror
Night of the Blood Beast
Ninja Death
Ninja Heat

Prehistoric Women
Prisoners of the Lost Universe

Radio Ranch
Rattlers
The Real Bruce Lee
The Return of the Kung-Fu Dragon
The Revenges of Doctor X
Rocket Attack U.S.A.

The Sadist
Scared to Death
Scream Bloody Murder
Shadow Ninja
Shadow of Chinatown
Shaolin Deadly Kicks (removed)
Shaolin Temple
Shock
Silent Night, Bloody Night
Sisters of Death
Slashed Dreams
Snake People
The Snake, The Tiger, The Crane
Snowbeast
Star Odyssey

The Tell-Tale Heart
The Thirsty Dead
Throw Out the Anchor!
Tiger Love
TNT Jackson
Track of the Moon Beast
Trapped By Television

Virus

War of the Robots
Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory
The Werewolf of Washington
The Wild Women of Wongo

No comments: