Thursday, May 07, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 4/30/20 "It's Your House"

"I got this dream of my house/The one you gave me in my mind/I’m ready for the house/Let me build my house." The first of 3 a capella albums from Jandek and the first album of the 21st Century. The lyrics reach back to the beginning of all this, constantly repeating "ready for the house," the title of the first album. There is an Ouroboros quality to this, a sense of Burroughs' cut-ups, that this may all be one text that we're constantly dipping back into, never seeing the whole or a real chronology, just repetitions of details that may be connections or may be what we've already seen. To counter the fact that US coronavirus deaths have surpassed the US death toll in Vietnam, we hear that the people dying would have died anyway. Is this the new talking point or are old talking points resurfacing in my feed? I've heard the claim that some people's deaths count less before.

-4/30/20. "It's Your House" from Put My Dream On This Planet (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: