Saturday, May 30, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 5/23/20 "The Daze"

"I didn’t think of an end or where it began and there was no pressure/It was like a cloud under that bright light path walking through the trees." What is the endpoint of this journal? What is the endpoint of the pandemic? One of the purposes of keeping this journal and keeping the requirement of listening to a Jandek album every day is to have that constant sense of the additional considerations. Even as things open up, at best we'll have normal life plus the pandemic. I have Jandek. What will I hear, what will it be, how will it manifest? It's glib to compare COVID to a deep dive into an artist's catalog (and rude to Jandek), but it's the act of isolating with the music and contemplation of the pandemic that I'm talking about. That's the connection and parallel. And just as with the pandemic, I have to ask what the endpoint is. I own 77 albums of 96 total. Does this end when I've heard them all, or when corona is over? Is there any end?

-5/23/20. "The Daze" from The Myth of Blue Icicles (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: