Sunday, May 24, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 5/1720 "My Own Way"

"I don’t need a window/To see what’s outside/I don’t need to be out there." I had plans to go on a long bike ride today but then I overslept and decided to stay in instead. I tried to make a loaf of bread, but screwed up the recipe so it came out all deflated. Then I streamed a little on Twitch. None of this is in response to the pandemic, it's just my normal life. What's it say of me that the stereotype of what people have been doing under self-isolation is my typical weekend? I was talking with a colleague yesterday about Korea's transition from its "self-isolation" program to "distancing in daily life." We couldn't see how the new policy was different from what we'd been instructed to do from the beginning. I've asked before, what becomes normal, but that applies to good things as well. In the wake of this, how many of us will persist in a calmer, more meditative life?

-5/17/20. "My Own Way" from What Else Does the Time Mean (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: