Monday, May 18, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 5/11/20 "When I See You Again"

"Wondering what your enthusiasm is gonna be like/When I see you again/I got a good feeling about it." First day of teaching from quarantine and it was like starting over again. I floundered as all my teaching material was back at the school and all my tech that I'm so familiar with failed in new ways when paired with the school's software. Most shocking though was the downtime: between classes I did my ironing, prepared food for the rest of the week, and had a better lunch than I could have had at work. It illuminated how much of life is wasted at the job and how life away from work is impoverished by it. I want to meet my students in person again--this online teaching is a half measure at best--but how much better life could be if I only had to be at work when I worked. That's probably another reason for the push to reopen the US and UK: don't let people realize how much better their lives would be with less work.

-5/11/20. "When I See You Again" from When I Took That Train (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: