Sunday, May 17, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 5/10/20 "I Gave My Eternity"

"I’m off for the day/I shut out the lights/I watched the day pass/And in these moments/I intermittently escape/To that space around my epicenter." After all the time watching things happen in the US, I am finally under quarantine. Is this the pandemic equivalent of sympathy weight? It's not due to anything I did fortunately--I'd hate to carry the burden of thinking I'd infected anyone by being irresponsible. Instead a colleague went to Itaewon last weekend and that's become the most recent exposure cluster. So they were taken out for testing today and we're all teaching from home tomorrow and maybe Tuesday. If the test comes back positive, things proceed from there. How quickly it's addressed and resolved, though. We'll have results tomorrow and then will act on that information. My time in quarantine may be over before I can grow sick of it.

-5/10/20. "I Gave My Eternity" from A Kingdom He Likes (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

3 comments:

RabidRabbit said...

Fingers crossed all is okay!:)

Donald said...

Oh yeah, my colleagues and I are all safe. I think tomorrow's post concludes the story. If not, then Tuesday or Wednesday's. Colleague got tested on Monday, had their negative result on Tuesday, and I was back in the office on Wednesday. All in all, I had a day-and-a-half of quarantine (I worked from home and baked peanut butter cookies. It was nice). My colleague, despite testing negative, is under self-quarantine for another week just to be 100% confident that they don't have the virus.

My real concern is the larger impact of this new outbreak. Itaewon is both the foreigner and LGBTQ neighborhood of Seoul and one of the clubs that the infected person visited is an LGBTQ bar. Korea's still pretty homophobic so the fear of getting outed if you test positive may be preventing people from getting tested. What a strange echo of the 80's AIDS pandemic: once again, homophobia will literally get people killed.

RabidRabbit said...

Good to hear about the negative results:)

Yes, so very true with the LGBTQ situation..very sad 😢