Thursday, May 14, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 5/7/20 "Shadow of Leaves"

"Hey, look at all the things gone by/It’s a stream of consciousness/Except of course those green plants/Are they really really real." I haven't used the opportunity of the pandemic to write my novel. Or start my video blog. Or read all my books. Granted, I never was under lockdown. My daily life didn't change. It's easy to be too precious about creativity though. The right space, the right moment, the right mood, inspiration! There's something to be said for just cranking things out, just doing the work. Jandek demonstrates the value of doing it and just putting it out there. This song comes from his 36th album, an album where he's playing bass and seems well past the point of leaning into being the oddball outsider musician. You find your audience, your muse, by doing the work of creation. I need to sit and write my stories.

-5/7/20. "Shadow of Leaves" from Shadow of Leaves (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: