Sunday, May 31, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 5/24/20 "This Wasted Life"

"Why can’t I stop this wasted life/Please take my freedom, I can’t use it right/Make me a moron who doesn’t know/This wasted life I’m stumbling through." Happy Memorial Day Weekend. Florida has fired the person responsible for tracking COVID and has reopened the beaches. The official death toll for the US has not quite hit 100,000, but with Florida and Georgia openly fudging the numbers, it's surely already higher than that. And people are going back out, celebrating the holiday weekend. Sure, some of them are doing it to "own the libs," as if a virus cares about your politics, but a lot of them are going out because they trust authorities saying that it's safe. And I've already said that, already talked about the tragedy of that betrayal. But where is the opposition, the voices from the other side saying, "we won't lie to you"? If the only options are death or despair, I too would want to be a moron and not know.

-5/24/20. "This Wasted Life" from Glasgow Friday (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: