Wednesday, June 03, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 5/27/20 "I Know My Name"

"You brought me so low today I'm happy to curse you world/Get the hints from me/and don't put me in no black suit." America passed 100,000 deaths and in the pursuit of returning to normal, police in Minneapolis murdered a black man on camera. The officers choked him to death by kneeling on his neck and laughing at him. The mayor fired the four officers involved in the murder which sparked the expected response: a police riot all night with officers raging through the city, attacking mourners and terrorizing communities as the opportunity arose. The core of the coronavirus response, I've said, rests in white supremacy. 100,000 deaths isn't being treated as a tragedy requiring massive change because of who's dying. Every day, every step of the way through this pandemic, the US response has been we'll kill you if you insist on your right to life.

-5/27/20. "I Know My Name" from Skirting the Edge (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: