Saturday, June 13, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 6/6/20 "Let Me Go"

"I’m tired of the mirror/I’m tired of the window/I’m tired of words/And numbers too/I get blues in the city/And down on the farm." Where is the place for me? I tried to step away from the news today, but got contacted by a friend instead about everything going on. Talking to them made me realize I hadn't bought any music on Bandcamp on the special day where they donate the full purchase to the artists. And that's a pathetic thing to highlight. They were contacting me about their city preparing for another wave of protests and I was thinking, I haven't been listening to new music for a while. Literally hours before the first protests broke out last week, another friend introduced me to the term "hedonic adaptation"--our tendency to get used to anything. One of the reasons I'm keeping this journal, listening to all this Jandek, is to avoid complacency, to take time every day to reflect that this isn't normal, but even Jandek is just becoming background noise.

-6/6/20. "Let Me Go" from Chicago Wednesday (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: