Tuesday, June 23, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 6/16/20 "Fantasy Five"

"If I had said some things different/If I had interpreted it all in another way/And had been another person/It wouldn’t be the same." I saw a thread on Twitter from a young white woman detailing all the crimes she'd committed in front of police and how she still didn't have a criminal record. She did it to highlight privilege and give further examples of cops criminalizing blackness, but I did have to wonder who grew up unafraid of the cops? The first story my parents told me was about off-duty New York cops dragging a man from his car and beating him to death for cutting them off in traffic. No charges because officially he choked to death on his own blood. This was 40 years ago. My parents always taught me that police were murderous thugs just waiting for an excuse. It's also worth nothing my parents didn't tell me the victim's race, because that doesn't matter, but, of course, it absolutely does.

-6/16/20. "Fantasy Five" from Ghost Passing (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: