Thursday, June 25, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 6/18/20 "Got My Dog"

"Got my dog/Got my gun/I go where I want/Don't try put up no fence/I'm invisible/I pass through this world/Like a ghost." Atlanta police, to protest one of their own being fired for murdering someone, have gone on strike. They're just refusing to come to work in an attempt to show the city how much it needs them. It's a risky move. After all, the cops claim that without them (and carte blanche to commit murder) you'll have chaos, riots, and looting--precisely what we've had because of the cops' use of violence. So their move now is to go, "If you think it's bad with us, see how you like it without us." NYPD tried this in 2015 by having an extended strike during contract negotiations. Crime dropped. During the uprising, every city where the police refused to riot stayed peaceful. Early reports coming out of Atlanta say it was the first quiet night in ages. Sounds like the police just struck for a pay cut.

-6/18/20. "Got My Dog" from St. Louis Friday
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: