Tuesday, June 30, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 6/23/20 "The Fantasy"

(instrumental for piano) I spent the afternoon listening to a tribute performance to Scott Hutchison, the lead singer of Frightened Rabbit who killed himself on May 10, 2018. I'd seen him perform at the end of February and told a friend, "This is the last time I'll ever see them live." I was already working in earnest to move to Korea and, to fully commit, had to work under the assumption that I'd never come back to the States. On May 10th, I was en route to the Pacific Northwest to see friends and family there for the last time. I started seeing the news alerts about Hutchison going missing while I had a layover, and I just knew. I hoped, but I knew. His music had been such an important part of my time in Philadelphia. I saw them a few months after I moved there at their first sold-out show in the States, introduced every partner I had to their music, and just as his music was the emotional soundtrack to my life there, his suicide has been the establishing tone of my life here.

-6/23/20. "The Fantasy" from New Orleans Monday
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: