Tuesday, June 09, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 6/2/20 "The Crushed Image"

"I know how to leave everything/I just wanted to say be prepared/for a smashing close/to all the years we knew only sleep/in the shadows that dream these shadows." Vigilante gangs from the white neighborhoods of Philadelphia marched to Center City today with baseball bats and golf clubs. People with clear violence in mind were met with open arms by the police, putting the lie to any claim that the police are trying to maintain peace. When I lived in South Philly and would go on my regular run through deeper South Philly, I'd always see the "Blue Lives Matter" Neo-Nazi signs come out after each and every murder committed by a cop. When a member of the Philly PD was outed as a Nazi--shirtsleeve tattoos and all--the signs became more prominent. Now those people have what they've always wanted, their own Kristallnacht, and they want to make sure everyone sees.

-6/2/20. "The Crushed Image" from Camber Sands Sunday (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: