Wednesday, June 24, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 6/17/20 "My Home"

"I'll never forget you/Even though I'm starting to/I'm only doing it because you want me to/I suppose I'll get over you now and then/And I'll be free and easy." Spent my afternoon listening to a tribute album to Adam Schlesinger, a member of Fountains of Wayne killed by the president's pandemic response. And while it's important to be reminded of the victims of this administration's eugenics-based response, it's important to remember the pandemic itself. The curve, despite the meager lockdown effort, enforced too late and lifted too soon, has not flattened. Can you have a second wave if the first never crested and rolled back? Would it emerge as a bump or a doubling, wave building upon wave, presenting us with a tsunami of death? Meanwhile, the president, bored with plague and protest, begins holding rallies again this weekend, gathering his proudly maskless followers to gather tightly together and sing his praises.

-6/17/20. "My Home" from Houston Saturday 2011 (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: