Tuesday, April 21, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 4/14/20 Follow Your Footsteps

I was going to go to the movies today. The weather was beautiful, I have tomorrow off, and there is something weird screening that I'd like to see. Then I decided against it, thought it'd be an asshole move, and started getting angry. This marks 4 weeks in a row I've made a last-minute choice to not see a movie, less out of any safety concerns than not scorning self-isolation, but why was I angry? Who was I angry at? I feel like I'm seeing the world twice--the reality before me and the mediated experiences of people in the States, two asynchronous soundtracks playing at once. Busan is awakening, people are out and about. Meanwhile, in the States people are violating quarantine orders to sneer "don't tell us what to do." Somehow I've laid that anger and contempt on top of my unrelated situation. The Jandek album seemed to have that same tone: unrelated music tracks layered on top of one another. But the tuning seemed familiar, the chords reminding me of spring days at college where I'd go to the record store just to go out.

-4/14/20. Follow your Footsteps (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: