Sunday, April 12, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 4/5/20 "The Times"

"It took about a month or so for you to know what you are after." I'm only 2 weeks in so what can I say about purpose? Pandemic manifests first as threat, then reality, then trauma. Went out to meet friends again today and part of me should be saying this as life after coronavirus, but the idea persisted. I had to stand up after someone sat next to me on the subway. My friends are still out of work. One of them voiced the suspicion that this doesn't stop until there's a vaccine next year. How long can you flatten a curve? Suddenly we have a use for all the Flat Earth conspiracy theorists. As for me, I'm listening more. I played this Jandek album twice--once on the subway and again at home. I started to relax into the early spring feel of it. Afterwards, I played 2 other albums that I hadn't listened to all the way through, and I really listened. I'm paying more attention now. And while I was doing chores, I let silence reign again.

-4/5/20. "The Times" from Chair Beside a Window (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: