Tuesday, April 07, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 3/31/20 "Afternoon of Insensitivity: Part Two"

"The landscape changes/Dead things rot and become betrampled/Seeds sprout/It all continues/An aging mind wants none of it." A warm day with inviting skies. During my lunch walk I take a picture of the cherry blossoms. When I get back into the office, I type up my Enneadecameron essay and start expanding on it. I haven't sat and written like this in years. My colleague likes it, considers it funny, is shocked when I say how out of practice I am. Is that politeness on their part or can I actually do what I've wanted to do all my life? Does there remain a fecundity in me that things can grow from? I've laid a top soil of lost time, but what could grow there? At school, to address coronavirus, high schools and middle schools are shifting to online teaching. I'm not trained for that nor particularly interested in it. Then again, they want me to teach to the test, a model I never had respect for anyway, so how is this different?

-3/31/20. "Afternoon of Insensitivity: Part Two" from Manhattan Tuesday (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: