Thursday, April 09, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 4/2/20 "They Told Me I Was a Fool"

"Wish them well at the marketplace/I fear a fiery face/Is staring from the future." And the indifference of disease to celebrity or stature starts to emerge. Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne and Ellis Marsalis Jr, jazz pianist and father of the jazz greats have both died. There's no meaningful eulogy to offer and there's something diminishing about invoking their deaths as meaningful: This has happened to someone whose name I recognize so now it matters. However, it is another escalation, a demonstration of the scope. If I stay in Korea long enough, I may meet someone who knew someone who had it. My friends and family may contract this. In related fascism, the administration is sending testing kits to small, red state towns instead of the blue state cities that need them. Fascism lies--this will only affect blue states, there are plenty of tests--and then works to make those lies the truth. This is an escalation.

-4/2/20. "They Told Me I Was a Fool" from Ready For the House (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: