Saturday, April 25, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 4/18/20 "I’ll Sit Alone and Think a Lot About You"

"Sometimes I sit and think alone/I have daydreams and memories/Right here with me at home/I sit alone and think a lot about you." Not much else to do in the midst of these pandemic days. Then again, I didn't do much else before the pandemic. I got to thinking about my friends back home last night and mocked up some care packages for them online. Nothing will be shipped until May so I'll probably have forgotten that I sent them by the time they arrive, but there is a pleasure in that, like the one package that arrives late after Christmas. You've gone from enjoying the holiday to being exhausted by leftovers to missing the minor pleasure when this last reminder that you're in someone's thoughts arrives. I took my bike out today and rode down to Dadaepo Beach. People were out flying kites including one that was a triptych, so large that they roared as they cut through the air. I stood by and thought, There are untold wonders on the other side of the pandemic.

-4/18/20. "I’ll Sit Alone and Think a Lot About You" from On the Way (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: