Saturday, April 11, 2020

My Jandek Plague Journal: 4/4/20 "So Fly, Max"

"Oh you don’t know where you wanna go and/Who you wanna see or what you wanna be/And so you walk along, you sing a song/You know tomorrow’s gone." Listening to Jandek while taking my first bike ride of the year, along the bicycle highway canopied by cherry blossoms. Too many people were out, crowding the path, ignoring social distancing instructions. With the general jollity of the people and the pleasant weather, the music seemed to set an appropriate counterpoint: the disease is not yet gone. 11 days without a new case in Busan, but it lies dormant for 10-14. Of course, I only know about how crowded it was because I was there too. This whole album seemed to speak to the moment, but I chose the song that seemed to be trolling me--always reacting, never acting. What are my priorities and my goals? Where am I even trying to be? I would have said "Ireland" 3 months ago, but I've let inertia overtake me so much that I forgot that's the path I want to set.

-4/4/20. "So Fly, Max" from Later On (lyrics)
(one week earlier)
(one week later)

No comments: